Test Configuration – Hardware
- Intel Core i9-9900K (Hyper-Threading/Turbo boost on; stock settings)
- Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO motherboard (Intel Z390 chipset, v.F12l BIOS)
- TeamGroup T-FORCE XTREEM ARGB WHITE PC4-28800 DDR4-3600MHz CL14 2x16GB kit
- Kingston HyperX Predator PC4-26700 DDR4-3333MHz CL16 2x16GB kit
- TeamGroup T-FORCE DARK Z FPS PC4-32000 DDR4-4000MHz CL16 2x8GB kit
- Gigabyte AORUS GeForce RTX 3080 MASTER 10GB (rev. 1.0); v.F4 VBIOS, stock clocks
- Samsung 500GB SSD 960 EVO NVMe M.2
- WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD
- Corsair RM750x, 750W 80PLUS Gold power supply unit
- ASUS TUF Gaming VG289Q 28″ IPS UltraHD (3840×2160) 60Hz 5ms FreeSync Monitor (Fixed Refresh Rate On)
Test Configuration – Software
- NVIDIA GeForce 466.77 drivers; ‘High Quality’ and ‘prefer maximum performance’ (on a per-game profile-basis); fixed refresh rate (globally).
- Resizable BAR off.
- V-Sync application controlled in the control panel, V-Sync off in-game.
- AA and AF as noted in games; all in-game settings are specified.
- Windows 10 64-bit Pro edition, latest updates v21H1, High-performance power plan, HAGS off, Game Mode, Game DVR & Game Bar features off.
- Gigabyte and ASUS tools not installed.
- Latest DirectX
- All 5 games are patched to their latest versions at the time of publication.
- AIDA64 Extreme, the latest version
- CapFrameX (CX), the latest version
- Cinebench R23
- CPU-Z, the latest version
- ISLC (Purge Standby List) before each benchmark.
- Karhu RAM Test
- OCCT, the latest version
- RivaTuner Statistics Server (RTSS), the latest version
- SiSoftware Sandra Tech Support (Engineer) 2021, the latest version
- Thaiphoon Burner, the latest version
- UL 3DMark’s benchmark suite, the latest version
GeForce Driver Suite-related
- Standard Game Ready drivers are used.
- The display driver is installed.
- The latest version of PhysX is installed.
Synthetic & Hybrid Tests-related
- Single run per test.
- We use the corresponding built-in or custom benchmark sequence.
Frametimes Capture & Analysis tool-related
- CapFrameX is used for capturing and analyzing the relevant performance numbers obtained from each recorded built-in or custom game benchmark sequence.
- Consecutive runs until detecting 3 valid runs (no outliers) that can be aggregated by CapFrameX using the following method:
- ‘Aggregate excluding outliers’:
- Outlier metric: Third, P0.2 (0.2% FPS percentile).
- Outlier percentage: 3% (the % the FPS of an entry can differ from the median of all entries before counting as an outlier).
- ‘Aggregate excluding outliers’:
- We compare and value the results and aggregated records in terms of percentages of gain/loss, by setting the following thresholds to consider a certain % value as significant (not within the margin of error) for our benchmarking purposes:
- Metric/Score > 3% when valuing synthetic and hybrid benchmarks;
- FPS Avg > 3% when valuing raw performance in games.
Benchmark Suite: 5 PC Games, 8 Synthetic & 3 Hybrid Memory-Related Tests
- AIDA64 Memory benchmarks:
- Sandra 2021 Memory benchmarks:
- Overall Score
- Memory Bandwidth
- Memory Latency
- Transaction Throughput
- Cinebench R23:
- CPU Score
- 3DMark Fire Strike:
- Physics Score
- Combined Score
- Far Cry New Dawn (DX11)
- PLAYERUNKNOWN’S BATTLEGROUNDS (PUBG) DX11
- Call Of Duty Warzone (DX12)
- Metro Exodus (DX12)
- Watch Dogs Legion (DX12)
NVIDIA Control Panel settings
Here are the global NVIDIA Control Panel settings:
Both ‘High-Quality’ values for texture filtering-quality setting and ‘Prefer maximum performance’ for power management mode are set on a per-game or program profile-basis via Manage 3D Settings > Program settings tab.
Let’s head to our overclocking and benchmarking results.