Test Configuration – Hardware
- Intel Core i7-6700K (reference 4.0GHz, HyperThreading and Turbo boost is on to 4.4GHz; DX11 CPU graphics).
- ASRock Z7170M OC Formula motherboard (Intel Z7170 chipset, latest BIOS, PCIe 3.0/3.1 specification, CrossFire/SLI 8x+8x)
- HyperX 16GB DDR2 (2x8GB, dual channel at 3333MHz)
- GTX TITAN XP 12GB
- GTX 1080 8GB
- GTX 1070 8GB
- GTX 1060 6GB
- GTX 1060 3GB
- GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
- GTX 980 Ti 4GB
- GTX 980 4GB
- GTX 970 4GB
- GTX 780 Ti 3GB
- GTX 770 – 2GB
- Fury X 4GB
- RX 480 8GB
- RX 470 4GB
- RX 460 4GB
- R9 290X 4GB
- RX 280X 3GB
- RX 270 3GB
- Two 2TB Seagate FireCuda 7200 rpm SSHDs for each platform
- EVGA 1000G 1000W power supply unit (for both platforms)
- Thermaltake Water2.0, supplied by Thermaltake
- Onboard Realtek Audio
- Genius SP-D150 speakers, supplied by Genius
- Thermaltake Overseer RX-I full tower case, supplied by Thermaltake
- ASUS 12X Blu-ray writer
- Monoprice Crystal Pro 4K
Test Configuration – Software
- GeForce WHQL 378.49 was used for all NVIDIA cards. High Quality, prefer maximum performance, single display. See control panel images below.
- AMD Crimson Software 17.1.1 hotfix drivers were used for all AMD cards. See control panel image below.
- VSync is off in the control panel. G-SYNC is off.
- Specific settings enabled as noted on the chart.
- All results show average frame rates including minimum frame rates shown in italics on the chart next to the averages in smaller font.
- Highest quality sound (stereo) used in all games.
- Windows 10 64-bit Home edition, RE 7 was run under the DX11 render paths. Latest DirectX
- RE 7 has been patched to its latest version at time of publication.
- MSI’s Afterburner used to set all Power Limit/Draw and temperatures to maximum and clocks to reference speeds.
- Resident Evil 7 Biohazard, digital Steam retail copy
AMD Crimson Control Center Settings
We used the latest ReLive 17.1.1 drivers with these settings and used MSI’s Afterburner to lock the boost clocks to reference as well as set the power limit and temperature sliders to their maximums.
Nvidia Control Panel settings
We use Nvidia’s latest drivers plus used MSI’s Afterburner to set all the clocks locked to the reference speeds and also set the Power and temp limits to their maximums.
Let’s check the performance of our eighteen tested video cards on the next page and then head for our conclusion.