Test Configuration – Hardware
- Intel Core i7-6700K (reference 4.0GHz, HyperThreading and Turbo boost is on to 4.4GHz; DX11 CPU graphics).
- ASRock Z7170M OC Formula motherboard (Intel Z7170 chipset, latest BIOS, PCIe 3.0/3.1 specification, CrossFire/SLI 8x+8x)
- G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4 (2x8GB, dual channel at 3000MHz)
- Gigabyte RX 480 8GB G1 Gaming, at Gigabyte factory clocks and further overclocked.
- EVGA GTX 1060 SC 6GB, at reference and EVGA factory clocks, supplied by EVGA
- PowerColor Red Devil RX 480 OC 8GB, at reference and at PowerColor clocks, supplied by PowerColor.
- PowerColor Red Devil RX 470, at PowerColor clocks, supplied by PowerColor
- EVGA GTX 1060 3GB, reference clocks, supplied by EVGA
- GALAX GTX 970 EXOC, 4GB, at GALAX factory clocks, supplied by GALAX
- GTX 1070 8GB Founders Edition, Supplied by Nvidia
- ASUS GTX 960 OC 2GB, at ASUS clocks, supplied by ASUS
- PowerColor R9 280X, 3GB, at reference clocks, supplied by PowerColor
- Two 2TB Toshiba 7200 rpm HDDs for each platform
- EVGA 1000G 1000W power supply unit (for both platforms)
- Thermaltake Water2.0, supplied by Thermaltake
- Onboard Realtek Audio
- Genius SP-D150 speakers, supplied by Genius
- Thermaltake Overseer RX-I full tower case, supplied by Thermaltake
- ASUS 12X Blu-ray writer
- Monoprice Crystal Pro 4K
Test Configuration – Software
- GeForce WHQL 372.70 was used for the EVGA GTX 1060 SC. Check the Big Picture chart for other Nvidia driver versions. High Quality, prefer maximum performance, single display. See control panel images below.
- AMD Crimson Software 16.9.1 hotfix drivers were used for the benching the Gigabyte RX 480 and 16.8.X was used for the other RX 480s. Check the Big Picture chart for other AMD driver versions. See control panel image below.
- VSync is off in the control panel.
- AA enabled as noted in games; all in-game settings are specified with 16xAF always applied
- All results show average frame rates including minimum frame rates shown in italics on the chart next to the averages in smaller font. Percentage differences are calculated between the average frame rates of the RX 480 and of the GTX 1060 SC.
- Highest quality sound (stereo) used in all games.
- Windows 10 64-bit Home edition, all DX11 titles were run under DX11 render paths. Our four DX12 titles are run under the DX12 render path. Latest DirectX
- All games are patched to their latest versions at time of publication.
- Gigabyte Xtreme Engine overclocking utility
- Sapphire TriXX overclocking utility
- EVGA’s Precision XOC, reviewer’s version 6.
The 25 PC Game benchmark suite & 2 synthetic tests
- Firestrike – Basic & Extreme
- Time Spy DX12
- Crysis 3
- Metro: Last Light Redux (2014)
- Middle Earth: Shadows of Mordor
- Alien Isolation
- Dragon’s Age: Inquisition
- Dying Light
- Grand Theft Auto V
- the Witcher 3
- Batman: Arkham Origins
- Mad Max
- Fallout 4
- Star Wars Battlefront
- Assassin’s Creed Syndicate
- Just Cause 3
- Rainbow Six Siege
- DiRT Rally
- Far Cry Primal
- Tom Clancy’s The Division
- Mirror’s Edge Catalyst
- Deus Ex Mankind Divided
- Ashes of the Singularity
- Rise of the Tomb Raider
- Total War: Warhammer
AMD Crimson Control Center Settings:
Nvidia Control Panel settings:
Let’s check out overclocking next.