• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turing Discussion Thread
The concern I have with that approach is that there is a very good chance that you will be unable to buy one of the new cards at launch. And even then you would be stuck with a blower reference card unless you wait even longer for the aftermarket cards to come out.

I know someone who recently got $1600CAD for his GTX 1080 Ti card. So for me that would be around a $500CAD profit. I will think about it. What he did was to actually sell the card at a profit and then buy Bitcoins when they dropped in price.
(02-08-2018, 05:24 PM)SickBeast Wrote: The concern I have with that approach is that there is a very good chance that you will be unable to buy one of the new cards at launch.  And even then you would be stuck with a blower reference card unless you wait even longer for the aftermarket cards to come out.

I know someone who recently got $1600CAD for his GTX 1080 Ti card.  So for me that would be around a $500CAD profit.  I will think about it.  What he did was to actually sell the card at a profit and then buy Bitcoins when they dropped in price.

You can always buy one if you have 4 browsers open and refresh regularly. Unless it is an AMD launch where there are literally only a few hundred card for each region. I'd get in line 20 minutes early at Nvidia's store and check EVGA also. If it's blowers, they would be fine if they are in short supply - buy two and sell one. There is nothing wrong with reference cards - they are just less suitable for overclocking as they get loud when pushed.

Of course, ALL of this thinking goes out the window if there is a good supply at launch. I would think that Nvidia has a MASSIVE stockpile of next gen cards. Why not? If mining *dies* today, they have two years to sell them to gamers before the refresh comes out .. as long as there is a good performance improvement, there is nothing to worry about with a stockpile (other than apocalyptic things like war, or the worldwide economy going back into recession)
Thinking

I would never buy crypto-currency with fiat money. Mining, maybe if I wanted to keep warm and had the equipment (and was desperate).
Dodgy
Your approach is probably the best advice for a gamer. As a miner though I don't want any downtime, and who knows how good Volta will even be for mining, anyways. Actually my approach would probably be to wait for a deal on an aftermarket card, no matter what. I cringe at the thought of using integrated graphics. Actually my integrated graphics can't even do 2D 4k properly, and Ryzen doesn't even have integrated graphics. Dodgy

My approach is more expensive but I would wind up with a better card and no downtime. And the way I tend to buy things, I had better go big or go home, right from the beginning. I could see myself having the itch to upgrade to a water cooled card if I bought a reference version.
(02-08-2018, 05:44 PM)SickBeast Wrote: Your approach is probably the best advice for a gamer.  As a miner though I don't want any downtime, and who knows how good Volta will even be for mining, anyways.  Actually my approach would probably be to wait for a deal on an aftermarket card, no matter what.  I cringe at the thought of using integrated graphics.  Actually my integrated graphics can't even do 2D 4k properly, and Ryzen doesn't even have integrated graphics.  Dodgy

My approach is more expensive but I would wind up with a better card and no downtime.  And the way I tend to buy things, I had better go big or go home, right from the beginning.  I could see myself having the itch to upgrade to a water cooled card if I bought a reference version.

Of course, my advice is for gamers. Miners are on their own. I just can't give advice to you because you are using your cards in a way I don't consider - to make money.

We know Volta is great for mining because of the Titan V's hash rates. Excellent, but not particularly cost effective for a $3,000 card.

I wish you a lot of luck with whatever happens. You have a great gaming system now and could certainly last you until the 3080 Ti
:nerd:
(02-08-2018, 05:53 PM)apoppin Wrote:
(02-08-2018, 05:44 PM)SickBeast Wrote: Your approach is probably the best advice for a gamer.  As a miner though I don't want any downtime, and who knows how good Volta will even be for mining, anyways.  Actually my approach would probably be to wait for a deal on an aftermarket card, no matter what.  I cringe at the thought of using integrated graphics.  Actually my integrated graphics can't even do 2D 4k properly, and Ryzen doesn't even have integrated graphics.  Dodgy

My approach is more expensive but I would wind up with a better card and no downtime.  And the way I tend to buy things, I had better go big or go home, right from the beginning.  I could see myself having the itch to upgrade to a water cooled card if I bought a reference version.

Of course, my advice is for gamers.  Miners are on their own.  I just can't give advice to you because you are using your cards in a way I don't consider - to make money.  

We know Volta is great for mining because of the Titan V's hash rates.  Excellent, but not particularly cost effective for a $3,000 card.

I wish you a lot of luck with whatever happens.  You have a great gaming system now and could certainly last you until the 3080 Ti
:nerd:
Thanks. We'll see what comes out of it. And I may sell my cards. I have to think about it.
So an interesting theory I am hearing is that Volta is going to launch with the new Final Fantasy game, which explains why the game runs poorly on a GTX 1080 ti. The game could be optimized for Volta.
(02-08-2018, 09:58 PM)SickBeast Wrote: So an interesting theory I am hearing is that Volta is going to launch with the new Final Fantasy game, which explains why the game runs poorly on a GTX 1080 ti. The game could be optimized for Volta.
March 6?

Just no.
Ok then.
(02-08-2018, 10:31 PM)SickBeast Wrote: Ok then.

Well,, maybe

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-nvidi...SKBN1FT2AW

Quote:The new GPU gaming chip, code named Turing, is expected to be unveiled next month.
Hmm..."Turing" eh? It kind of reminds me of the "trolling" motor Rollo needs for his boat! :D

Angel