• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Battlefront Contest thread
BTR is expanding and getting more popular, and we would like to reward our community members who contribute so much to our site. We are planning a series of contests with at least one new AAA PC title to be given away monthly. So, to kick off BTR's contest series, we have a key for Star Wars Battlefront that we would like to give away in a very simple two-day event starting now, Saturday, March 26th, and ending tomorrow, Easter Sunday evening at 10PM PDT. The winner will be announced on BTR's community forum in the contest thread the following morning at 8AM PDT on Monday, March 27, and the key will be awarded to the winner immediately after he responds*.

Star Wars Battlefront is a visually beautiful game that runs well even on midrange PCs.
[Image: starwarsbattlefront-2016-01-03-09-11-23-81.jpg]

All that you have to do to enter to win the Star Wars Battlefront key is to post in our contest thread (here). We would love to hear from you and you can tell us what you would like us to feature at BTR in our reviews, and you can also tell us what PC game that you would like to win next month in April. All of the entrants will be put into a random drawing, and luck - a computer program - will decide the winner.

BTR is still a small community, and there is a very good chance that YOU will be the winner if you enter. We are also looking for sponsorship for future contests with additional prizes beyond PC games that we will announce as this contest series progresses.

We have expanded our articles, and our performance charts now include minimums as well as averages for the frame rates. And we will also be covering Nvidia's GTC live starting April 4th. Who knows what tidbits we will uncover about the new Pascal architecture that Nvidia is replacing Maxwell with.

These are exciting times to be a PC gamer! Make sure you enter our kick-off contest today and you may win Star Wars Battlefront

... and happy gaming!

Enter to Win Star Wars Battlefront HERE (this thread!)

*If the winner does not respond within 24 hours of the announcement on Monday Morning at 8AM, the prize will be awarded to the second contestant picked by the random program.

The contest is officially OPEN. You may post in this thread as often as you like, but your entry (by simply posting) is limited to one chance to win.

GOOD LUCK!
I'm in! Thanks very much for organizing this apoppin! Good luck everyone! :)
What would I'd like to see featured in future BTR reviews? ((EDIT) this is how I read the question).
1. I'd like to see some frame time benchmark graphs. This is a good indication of game stutter.
2. I'd like to see some cpu benchmarks for game reviews that include less cores and underclocked cpu speeds.
For example: How does Crysis 3 run with your i7 4770 with 2 cores disabled and at 2.5 ghz, 3.0ghz ect. ect.
Not everyone has a top of the line cpu. :)
3. I was reading another review site and seen a cool way to check image quality. They use some sort of slider picture.
Heres is the link.
http://www.techspot.com/review/1128-rise...page6.html

Well just a few suggestions for you Appopin.
Thanks for the contest.
Just email me the game code when your ready.... :)

Oh and next month, I'd like to have Quantum Break as the winning game.

P.S. If you were talking actual subject matter, I'd like to see more Videos cards max overclock vs max overclock, with noise, power measurement.
Thank-you for your suggestions!

I'll ask Mario to check into the slider for IQ.

I also plan to expand HW reviews and cover CPUs from time to time. Unfortunately, benching with and i-7 with cores disabled does not quite match up with actually using an i3 CPU, so I will have to acquire more CPUs. This will become more important as DX12 becomes more popular.

As to frame time, I actually have FCAT but it is only really useful for 1920x1080 as my SSDs are too slow for higher resolution. Fortunately, using Fraps frame times will work really well (except for mGPU). I will add frame times for new games and selected games as I progress through this year.

And a question for our members .. would you rather see more IQ/frametime comparisons and LESS than 25 games benchmarked? There is only a limited time to perform most reviews and SOMETHING has to give
:)

Quantum Break is a good idea. It releases April 5.
(03-26-2016, 09:54 PM)apoppin Wrote: And a question for our members .. would you rather see more IQ/frametime comparisons and LESS than 25 games benchmarked?  There is only a limited time to perform most reviews and SOMETHING has to give

Appopin, with the new wave of direct x 12 games, I think its a given to get rid of one of the oldest games and replace it with one of the newest games. If it were me I would keep the newest most popular games that were run on a specific game engine. For instance ,Crytek engine games, Crysis 3 , Frostbite engine games, Wolfenstein Old blood, ect ect.

It would be very informative to know what cards run best on what games and game engines.
I think especially this year with game devs favoring AMD or Nvidia, this is needed.

Oh and before I forget.....
Its a great time to look at games that stream vram and store vram. How about a Vram benchmark? For instance there are games that actually need 4gb of video memory and games that will use what your card has whether its 2, 4 ,6, 8 or 12 gb of memory.

Well that should keep you busy for the next 3 years..... :)
(03-26-2016, 10:27 PM)happy medium Wrote:
(03-26-2016, 09:54 PM)apoppin Wrote: And a question for our members .. would you rather see more IQ/frametime comparisons and LESS than 25 games benchmarked?  There is only a limited time to perform most reviews and SOMETHING has to give

Appopin, with the new wave of direct x 12 games, I think its a given to get rid of one of the oldest games and replace it with one of the newest games. If it were me I would keep the newest most popular games that were run on a specific game engine. For instance ,Crytek engine games, Crysis 3  , Frostbite engine games, Wolfenstein Old blood,  ect ect.

It would be very  informative to know what cards run best on what games and game engines.
I think especially this year with game devs favoring AMD or Nvidia, this is needed.

Oh and before I forget.....
Its a great time to look at games that stream vram and store vram.  How about a  Vram benchmark? For instance there are games that actually need 4gb of video memory and games that will use what your card has whether its 2, 4 ,6, 8 or 12 gb of memory.

Well that should keep you busy for the next 3 years..... :)
BTR should keep me busy for the rest of my life. At least, that is my plan for my "retirement"
(All retirement means to me is that I no longer have to work for a living - there is no outside job for me)

I have dropped games as new games are released. I am trying to keep 25 games (exactly) as my benching suite (RotTR replaced TR 2013, The Division replaced Sniper Elite 3, and Far Cry Primal has replaced FC 4)

And to address your suggestion in bold ... My NEXT evaluation compares these cards
GTX 780 Ti/3GB vs 290X 4GB vs Titan 6BB - so we shall (definitely) see where vRAM comes into play as the GTX 780 Ti is usually slightly faster than the (original) Titan.

AND we shall see if Nvidia is "neglecting" Kepler - or not
- I have reinstalled about ten OLD games that I benched at ABT when the 780 Ti launched
(and we did this same comparison then - GTX 780 Ti/3GB vs 290X 4GB vs Titan 6BB)

Look for it either at the end of the weekend or else (if I am running late), on Monday
Since we're talking about suggestions, my idea in light of what Happy Medium has brought up is to do more of a variety of articles. I think a "focus article" would be great for each AAA game that you add to your testing suite. In those articles I think the image quality sliders would be great along with CPU analysis with some cores disabled along with the CPU overclocked/underclocked to different frequencies. I would also test the game with 4 GPUs if you can (2 AMD and 2 nVidia cards, a midrange and a high end card for each). Your i7 will simulate an i3 if you disable two cores because the i3 has hyperthreading. You could also disable hyperthreading to simulate an i5 if you want.

I think the current format is perfect for GPU reviews but I think articles like what I have described above would be really good for BTR.

As for next month's game, I really want Trackmania Turbo! It looks like a lot of fun and it's getting great reviews.
Good luck everyone! :D
(03-27-2016, 01:12 AM)SickBeast Wrote: Since we're talking about suggestions, my idea in light of what Happy Medium has brought up is to do more of a variety of articles.  I think a "focus article" would be great for each AAA game that you add to your testing suite.  In those articles I think the image quality sliders would be great along with CPU analysis with some cores disabled along with the CPU overclocked/underclocked to different frequencies.  I would also test the game with 4 GPUs if you can (2 AMD and 2 nVidia cards, a midrange and a high end card for each).  Your i7 will simulate an i3 if you disable two cores because the i3 has hyperthreading.  You could also disable hyperthreading to simulate an i5 if you want.

I think the current format is perfect for GPU reviews but I think articles like what I have described above would be really good for BTR.

As for next month's game, I really want Trackmania Turbo!  It looks like a lot of fun and it's getting great reviews.

You are laying a lot on me. I would say it is impossible for just one reviewer to accomplish.
Blush

But I will give it a try

One good bit of news, Mario found the slider plugin for images. I will definitely incorporate those.
Cool. :)

Well if it's going to be too difficult, maybe drop some games and add in the CPU testing. I think it would add a lot. Even if you only go down to 20 games as a result I think it would be worth it.