• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A SIX-year-old gamer "addict" spent $16,000 on his mom’s CC

TL;DR More or less ... and Apple says "too bad, pay it - you should have known better"
https://nypost.com/2020/12/12/this-6-yea...edit-card/
Quote:Six-year-old George Johnson secretly racked up more than $16,000 in Apple app store charges for his favorite video game, Sonic Forces — leaving his mom in shock.

While working from home during the pandemic, Wilton., Conn., real estate broker Jessica Johnson, 41, didn’t realize the younger of her two sons had gone on a shopping spree on her iPad. Over the month of July, George bought add-on boosters — starting with $1.99 red rings and moving up to $99.99 gold rings ...

... “It’s like my 6-year-old was doing lines of cocaine — and doing bigger and bigger hits,” she joked of her first-grader.

When Jessica discovered Apple and PayPal were withdrawing hefty sums — $562 here, $601 there — from her Chase account, she assumed it was a mistake or fraud and called the bank, confused by the unitemized charges. “The way the charges get bundled made it almost impossible [to figure out that] they were from a game,” she said. ...

... clueless that it was George’s doing, Jessica filed a fraud claim in July when her bill reached $16,293.10 — but it wasn’t until October that she was told by Chase that the charges were indeed hers and she needed to contact Apple.

“[Apple] said, ‘Tough.’ They told me that, because I didn’t call within 60 days of the charges, that they can’t do anything,” said Jessica. “The reason I didn’t call within 60 days is because Chase told me it was likely fraud

It's a rough way for a parent to learn, although tBH Jessica is a prime example of clueless non-parenting. She gave some pretty weak excuses blaming her son and then the game publisher when her problem was giving a 6 year old child full access to her banking and allowing him to roam the Internet without any supervision. Not to mention that she *could* have found out where the charges were coming from from her CC co right after the first charge was filed.
---Watch your kids and pay attention to your finances - or the Grinch may visit you instead of Santa!
Beee
Yikes. I think I know one kid that will only find a lump of coal in his xmas stocking this year and probably many more years to come.