• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Apple M1 benchmarks in 2020 Mini Mac

Very impressive feat by Apple.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16252/mac...-m1-tested
Not to brag, but I called this a long time ago. The A12X in the 2018 iPad Pro is a beast (at least 75% as fast as a stock i7 8700K CPU). I knew that with a higher power envelope and scaled up and dedicated design that Apple could pull something off like this. I'm actually surprised the chip isn't even a bit more powerful. What I did not expect was the single threaded performance - it's completely insane on the M1, and single threaded performance is what 99% of people are going to notice the most when they interact with a computing device.

We may be in a transitionary period and Apple may be the new king. I have mixed feelings on x86 going away. It will probably take a long time for it to truly happen, but this is the first step. The problem is that the ARM based competitors are completely left in Apple's dust. Qualcomm probably has the best legit shot at developing a CPU like this but it's really going to be second rate compared to what Apple has created. And good luck to them creating such an efficient software based emulation solution such as Rosetta.

I can't say I feel too sorry for Intel. They have essentially released the same core design for the past 10 years. It's going to be interesting to see what they can come up with with their back up against the wall somewhat. Maybe they will try to create an ARM based CPU.
Apple has got their work cut out for them. Here's more hype to fuel the debate:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/...st-end-pcs

The article may be behind a paywall:

Here's a ripped off TL;DR

Quote:Early 2021, for MacBook Pro and iMac

16+4 core CPUs in testing

8+4, 12+4 core CPUs ‘could’ be released first

16, 32 core GPU

Later in 2021, for higher-end desktop

32+? core CPU

64, 128 core GPU, ‘several times faster than the current graphics modules Apple uses from Nvidia and AMD in its Intel-powered hardware’

More Quotes from the article:

"For higher-end desktop computers, planned for later in 2021 and a new half-sized Mac Pro planned to launch by 2022, Apple is testing a chip design with as many as 32 high-performance cores."

"Apple engineers are also developing more ambitious graphics processors. Today’s M1 processors are offered with a custom Apple graphics engine that comes in either 7- or 8-core variations. For its future high-end laptops and mid-range desktops, Apple is testing 16-core and 32-core graphics parts.

For later in 2021 or potentially 2022, Apple is working on pricier graphics upgrades with 64 and 128 dedicated cores aimed at its highest-end machines, the people said. Those graphics chips would be several times faster than the current graphics modules Apple uses from Nvidia and AMD in its Intel-powered hardware."