• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ampere Taped Out? (Ampere thread)
I was on a gluten free diet for the past 2 years - but I did not read one label .. and I am really paying for it.

Your old PSUs should be replaced. I agree that Platinum is ideal ... but I don't deserve the very best. My electricity bill is super low since I use AC only a few times a Summer when the humidity is high. We will hit 108F (42C) outside on Sunday, but my house will stay below 78F (25.5C) using a fan and a pump in a very efficient evaporative cooler that is imported from Australia (Bonaire Durango).
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bonaire-Dura.../204679889?

Wow, the price almost doubled since I bought it 5 years ago for $300!
- it was priced at $350, but I got $50 off on a sale.

Good luck with your Post delivery! FedEx was good to me this week.

And good night from the Pacific West Coast.
The apartment we bought several years back when we sold the house has a heat pump unit, but we've never once switched it on. Just ordinary pedestal fans and open balcony door for summer and oil column heater for winter nights.

One benefit of the heat pump is that we get off-peak power certain times of the day and from 8 pm thru 6 am, the off peak rate is much cheaper and suits a night owl like me. Eventually I'd like to get a power wall or similar and charge at night on off-peak then run off it during daytime, eliminate the high regular tariffs that way.
I think I am feeling worse this morning :(

You live in a great place with a very temperate climate. Mine is a bit more akin to inland Australia.
I guess there are 30 chances out of probably many tens of thousands of entrants .. but if you don't enter to win a RTX 3080, you won't:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/con...mate-play/?
Quote:SWEEPSTAKES OVERVIEW
Follow and engage with our GeForce social media channels from September 1 - 17, 2020 for a chance to win 1 of 30 graphics cards.

Over the next few weeks, we’ll share all the most important details from our biggest announcements. By helping us share the news, you’ll be helping the world see and learn about a new generation of high-performance GeForce RTX gaming.

Watch this quick explainer of the sweepstakes and see how to win.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckNzoRg_-AI&feature=youtu.be

Good luck! It looks like a very nice prize.
Not relevant for me.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/con...onditions/
Quote:1. You must be a legal resident of AUSTRIA, BELGIUM, CANADA (EXCLUDING THE PROVINCE OF QUEBEC), COLOMBIA, CROATIA, CZECH REPUBLIC, DENMARK, FINLAND, FRANCE, GERMANY, GREECE, IRELAND, JAPAN, NORWAY, PERU, POLAND, SOUTH KOREA, SPAIN, SWITZERLAND, TAIWAN, THE NETHERLANDS, UNITED KINGDOM, THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA (EXCLUDING PUERTO RICO AND ITS OTHER TERRITORIES AND POSSESSIONS) and you must be eighteen (18) or older to be eligible to participate. This promotion is open to individuals only. No team entries and no corporate or institutional entries are permitted in this promotion. Employees of Sponsor, its affiliates, and their respective contractors, service providers and professional advisors connected with this promotion, as well as members of their immediate families and/or households, are NOT eligible to enter.
I guess Australia got left out again - but it is literally 30 chances in a million or more. Your country also appears to have been left out of the 30 series founders edition launches and have to wait for the AIBs.

I posted this as general information. Hundreds of people visit BTR's forum every week.

BtW, check back tomorrow AM for something that may be interesting ...
Yeah, nvidia is pretty good at ignoring Australia and their board partners are extremely good at charging outrageous prices for the cards here, unfortunately.
(09-10-2020, 05:38 AM)gstanford Wrote: Yeah, nvidia is pretty good at ignoring Australia and their board partners are extremely good at charging outrageous prices for the cards here, unfortunately.

Is it just Nvidia and the AIBs that ignore/overcharge Australians? It looks to me that Intel and AMD do the same thing. And Valve won't even ship the Index VR kit there.

Your HW and SW prices are extra high (even considering a higher income per capita and the the shipping). I get HW costing more there - but SW also? It looks like everyone is ripping you off.
Beee

If I lived there (or even worse, in Brazil - talk about a giant RIP with triple prices), I'd try to make a friend in the USA - or take a vacation here (like the Brazilians do) - but then you get screwed anyway by huge import costs by your own government.

Canadians also get screwed by extra high pricing and they are next door to the USA. I can bring in $600 worth of HW from anywhere -even shipped - and I don't get changed import fees.
Yeah, you get screwed no matter what you try. And you are right, it's more than just nvidia. You just have to be careful to buy when there are good specials on.

The perils of a small population spread across a big contintent.
Good news for Australia HW enthusiasts wanting Ampere FEs ... Nvidia changed their collective minds:

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2020/09/rtx-30...australia/

Quote:A Nvidia representative has officially informed Aussies that at least one retailer, the Sydney-based Mwave, will have stock of the FE versions of the RTX 3080.