• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GTX 1060 GDDR5X 6gb
(10-21-2018, 04:50 PM)SickBeast Wrote:
(10-21-2018, 04:43 PM)apoppin Wrote:
(10-21-2018, 04:39 PM)SickBeast Wrote: nVidia simply needs to cut the price of the GTX 1070 and also price the new GDDR5X GTX 1060 well in order to compete.

They need to rename their cards - the AIBs need something "new" for the holiday midrange sales.  10 series won't cut it any longer except for bargain hunters as it is being perceived as being "old" ... the GTX 1070 came out quite awhile ago .... I expect all the new cards to be named either RTX 20X0 or GTX 20X0

I wonder what AMD will call their new Polaris refresh ... 5X0 or 6X0?  I am betting on 600 series ....
Didn't Jensen mention the GTX 2060 at the Turing announcement in Germany?  I believe it is coming out in about a month IIRC.

Did he? And did he specifically say "GTX"?

I wasn't there. I arrived a day late .. and I never watched the launch video.
Blush

No doubt the GTX 2060 is scheduled to come out right after the Polaris launch. It's been that way for years.
(10-21-2018, 05:11 PM)apoppin Wrote:
(10-21-2018, 04:50 PM)SickBeast Wrote:
(10-21-2018, 04:43 PM)apoppin Wrote:
(10-21-2018, 04:39 PM)SickBeast Wrote: nVidia simply needs to cut the price of the GTX 1070 and also price the new GDDR5X GTX 1060 well in order to compete.

They need to rename their cards - the AIBs need something "new" for the holiday midrange sales.  10 series won't cut it any longer except for bargain hunters as it is being perceived as being "old" ... the GTX 1070 came out quite awhile ago .... I expect all the new cards to be named either RTX 20X0 or GTX 20X0

I wonder what AMD will call their new Polaris refresh ... 5X0 or 6X0?  I am betting on 600 series ....
Didn't Jensen mention the GTX 2060 at the Turing announcement in Germany?  I believe it is coming out in about a month IIRC.

Did he?  And did he specifically say "GTX"?

I wasn't there.  I arrived a day late .. and I never watched the launch video.
Blush

No doubt the GTX 2060 is scheduled to come out right after the Polaris launch.  It's been that way for years.

I believe he did, yes. There was a slide about it IIRC. Either that or I read it somewhere else. And yes, it was called the GTX 2060. No RTX features on it. My guess is that it's an RTX 2070 core with the ray tracing cores removed and less cores. I would be surprised if they used cut down 2070 cores. My guess is that it will be its own chip.

https://wccftech.com/nvidias-geforce-rtx...-november/

Quote:NVIDIA’s GeForce RTX 2070 and GTX/RTX 2060 graphics cards will be seeded by early November
(10-21-2018, 05:20 PM)SickBeast Wrote: My guess is that it's an RTX 2070 core with the ray tracing cores removed and less cores.  I would be surprised if they used cut down 2070 cores.  My guess is that it will be its own chip.

My guess is that it will be a repackaged *Pascal* GTX 1070 with GDDR5X or an enhanced faster GTX 1060 with GDDR5X and have nothing to do with Turing at all.
Could be. They just might make something on the 12nm process though. We'll see.
(10-21-2018, 05:35 PM)SickBeast Wrote: Could be. They just might make something on the 12nm process though. We'll see.

Well, yeah ... how else does Nvidia get the clockspeeds up, sell a GTX 1070/Ti for GTX 1060/Ti prices ... and still make big money ...?
Huh

And a BIG OOPs on my part. I accidentally edited your above post instead of posting my own reply ... sorry; I think I made a mess of it trying to fix it and I finally removed your quote of my reply just leaving your reply. Maybe I got too much sleep ... Blush
No problem about the edit.

And yeah we'll see what nVidia does I guess.
Tom's claims that the new GTX 1060/DDR5X will be built on GP104, not the current GP106.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia...37961.html

But then the clocks may be higher than his chart shows, and who knows the actual core count? I guess it's all speculation at this point.
Here is "the latest":

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Nvidia-s-n...441.0.html

Not sure if credible, that is. Dodgy
I have been seeing this for awhile. And now we have RX 590, and Nvidia's corporate ego may not allow it to kick ass on the GTX 1060 as it does.

HOWEVER, the issue is that the Pascal midrange inventory is at record high levels (from reading in-between on their conference call) - Nvidia has rarely been caught this way (because of bad cryptomining sales projections - they evidently have some shitty analysts they depend on that indicated it would continue whereas we knew it would go bust).

So their issue is - if they bring out GTX 2060, they have to price it high or they won't sell GTX 1060 unless they dump them on a fire sale and wreck their fat margins. And if they price GTX 2060 high, they will alienate their midrange gamers who make up nearly 50% of their total income.

They don't pay me to give them advice. So I will wish them good luck!

/end analysis.
There is no way out for them now on multiple fronts. I expect their stock to drop lower. It will be a real shame if any of their talented people take the fall for this.