• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's happening at BTR *16*
No one is accusing anyone of lying ... spinning the worst; sure. What's new.

I got one of the cards finished for all 36 benchmarks and am running the faster card now.

I should be done with benching tomorrow afternoon, then I'll work on the preliminary OC. That gives me Tuesday to write the review, post the images and the charts. It should be doable by 6 AM on Wednesday if all continues to go well.

I drank white tea both yesterday and today. I am pretty tired. But I remembered to disconnect from the 'net when I ran Futuremark tests, and also to uncheck 'upload ranked replays'. I wonder if the other reviewers remember to do this ...
Blush
Lightbulb 
(09-17-2018, 01:33 AM)gstanford Wrote: Why would anandtech spin  the worst about Turing specifically?

Say what you will about their forums, but their GPU deep dives and subsequent reviews have all been highly accurate articles written with a high standard of integrity.

I am not talking about Ryan. I know him and he has a particularly deep knowledge of GPU architecture and his deep dives are probably the best in English.

I am talking about your spin, using snippets of quotes to support your preconceived notions about Turing.
Crazy_pilot

Why? Probably because Turing isn't right for you

[Image: SG.jpg]

Quote: I am hopeful that the prices will drop by $100-200usd across the board in a few months. Once it does I will be tempted.

Let me predict that you are going to be sorely tempted long before any price drops. And I will also predict you will give in early ....
Gamer4
All of them are taken out of context.

But no one can show you anything once your mind is made up.

Your pictures are incomplete and thus your conclusions are flawed.
(09-17-2018, 01:58 AM)apoppin Wrote: Let me predict that you are going to be sorely tempted long before any price drops.  And I will also predict you will give in early ....
Gamer4
Interesting. Thank you for that. The problem is that I don't have $1800CAD for a graphics card right now. That's practically the price of my TV. Gaming is important to me, but not *that* important. If it could make me coffee and toast in the morning I would consider it. Jumping
(09-17-2018, 02:35 AM)gstanford Wrote:
(09-17-2018, 02:11 AM)apoppin Wrote: All of them are taken out of context.

But no one can show you anything once your mind is made up.  

Your pictures are incomplete and thus your conclusions are flawed.

The meaning doesn't change even if I quoted the entire context!  What I quoted is accurate and can stand alone as I quoted it!

The memory compression doesn't apply all the time or in all cases either.  Basically the memory compression improvements mainly apply to HDR modes which weren't well compressed before now.

Greg, with all due respect, you are arguing endlessly with a person who has first hand experience and knowledge about these cards. Not leaks or rumors. First hand information. I can understand digging one's heels in for a good fight but in this case it makes no sense. At the very least wait until the reviews come out. A lot of what we see prior to these launches is a bunch of hype and conjecture from both sides. I know and trust apoppin and he's not going to say this cards are good if they are indeed not.
(09-16-2018, 11:26 PM)gstanford Wrote:
(09-16-2018, 07:49 PM)happy medium Wrote: Gstandford,
20% more cuda performance?
Where did you get that figure from?
I calculate at least 35% more .
Gddr6 rescued Nvidia?
25% better memory compression also helps.
Do your homework.
You sir need to wait for reviews before you come to conclusions..

The CUDA performance figures come from the Anandtech Deep Dive article.  I gave direct quotes all 3 times (and 20% is optimistic given 19% was the actual maximum improvement) Are you suggesting they are liars?!

Quote from Anandtech.
"The king of NVIDIA’s new product stack, the GeForce RTX 2080 Ti is without a doubt an interesting card. NVIDIA’s consumer flagship sports 4352 Turing CUDA cores and 544 tensor cores, as well as 68 RT cores. Like its Quadro counterpart, this card is rated for 10 GigaRays/second, and for traditional compute we’re looking at 13.4 TFLOPS based on these specifications. Note that on paper this is only 19% higher than GTX 1080 Ti, which is why NVIDIA’s architectural changes and efficiency improvements are going to carry the day here, rather than brute forcing the matter with more hardware

Another quote from Anandtech.

"For their part, NVIDIA points to Turing’s leap in performance from Pascal, from memory hierarchy bandwidth uplifts to 50% more shader performance per core, but unfortunately for today we can’t connect this with any real world data or performance. "

[Image: ?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_153715194353712&k...20RTX&txt=]

19% more performance from added hardware and up to 50% more performance per core.
Over 50% more theoretical bandwidth.

The 2080ti will be at least 45% faster than a gtx1080ti at 4k, the target audience.

Thats with normal everyday games not optimized for the gtx2080 with DLSS.

By now Apoppin knows this and has a smile on his face.
I hate to say this ,,, but some of you are expecting too much ... and some of you are being rather unfair the other way.

Just wait for the damn reviews.

Please ...

Blush

However, even after the reviews there will still be plenty left to argue about Turing ... at least until Ampere is released ... then it can start all over again

I would say the main issue remains the launch prices. They increased a lot over the last generation - with or without considering features/performance. If there were little to no price increase, there would be little to criticize IMO.
Sad 
You were talking TFLOPS or compute performance, on paper that's 19%.
That's from additional cores ,,rop's ect. ect.

Actual clock speeds with be lower also from a gtx1080ti to the 2080ti.
But your getting more performance per clock

(09-17-2018, 03:11 AM)apoppin Wrote: I hate to say this ,,, but some of you are expecting too much ... and some of you are being rather unfair the other way.

Just wait for the damn reviews.  

Please ...

Blush

I knew I'd nab some early information from you!
:)
(09-17-2018, 03:12 AM)happy medium Wrote: I knew I'd nab some early information from you!
:)

It's not very useful and very general. Everyone should always temper their expectations before any new architecture launches.

I am finally getting some useful information now, however, and my own picture is getting much clearer about overall performance. I will share that much with you. Less than 3 days to go
-- I'll have both cards benched by tomorrow and I should be able to overclock also. Plus there is new stuff being posted I have to look at tomorrow ... but Tuesday is reserved for writing.
Drinks

Do you want me to post "percentage of increase" of the new cards over the last gen? Which card(s) needs to be compared - the GTX 1080 Ti (I am guessing not the Titan Xp)? Also the GTX 1080?
You aren't talking to me are you?
Huh

I see me being quoted, but I didn't post anything about ROPs nor TFLOPS