• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FS: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti hybrid $700, EVGA GTX 1070 hybrid $370, Ryzen 1800X CPU $250, +
(07-11-2018, 03:09 AM)SickBeast Wrote:
(07-11-2018, 02:59 AM)apoppin Wrote:
(07-11-2018, 02:00 AM)SickBeast Wrote: I chose the cheapest option. Canada post is usually pretty good.

So did I .. I sent it to you using the cheapest USPS option where FedEx and UPS were about the same, but I paid $47 to ship a MB/CPU and RAM to you.
Blush
Well, I did manage to cut the size of the packaging in half.  Perhaps that's why.  The clerk did measure the box.  I'm sure the size factors into the price.

Thankfully I had a bunch of Amazon orders come in this week so I re-used the padding that came with that stuff.  I really butchered your box, you should have seen what I did to get it down to half size.  Angel

It was just under 2.7 Kg (6 lbs 2 oz) .. I sent you the CPU unopened in the box but I used the lightest packing material also.
(07-11-2018, 03:13 AM)apoppin Wrote:
(07-11-2018, 03:09 AM)SickBeast Wrote:
(07-11-2018, 02:59 AM)apoppin Wrote:
(07-11-2018, 02:00 AM)SickBeast Wrote: I chose the cheapest option. Canada post is usually pretty good.

So did I .. I sent it to you using the cheapest USPS option where FedEx and UPS were about the same, but I paid $47 to ship a MB/CPU and RAM to you.
Blush
Well, I did manage to cut the size of the packaging in half.  Perhaps that's why.  The clerk did measure the box.  I'm sure the size factors into the price.

Thankfully I had a bunch of Amazon orders come in this week so I re-used the padding that came with that stuff.  I really butchered your box, you should have seen what I did to get it down to half size.  Angel

It was just under 2.6 Kg (6 lbs 2 oz) .. I sent you the CPU unopened in the box but I used the lightest packing material.

Maybe Canada Post is cheaper. I do find that we pay around the same for things in $CAD here compared to what you guys pay in $USD. By that I don't mean imports. Local goods and services. I'm pretty sure the cost of living is cheaper in Canada compared to the USA.

Also I think Canada Post is subsidized by our government here.

It makes me wonder how much they would charge me to send stuff to Greg in Tasmania.
(07-11-2018, 03:15 AM)SickBeast Wrote: Also I think Canada Post is subsidized by our government here.

It makes me wonder how much they would charge me to send stuff to Greg in Tasmania.

The USPS is subsidized by the US government.  It operates at a loss.

And it's easy to find out how much they would charge.  

Angel

Not bad at all! I put in your postal code and calculated what it would cost to send a GTX 1080 Ti to Australia

[Image: Untitled_2.jpg]
(07-11-2018, 03:44 AM)apoppin Wrote:
(07-11-2018, 03:15 AM)SickBeast Wrote: Also I think Canada Post is subsidized by our government here.

The USPS is subsidized by the US government.  It operates at a loss.

And it's easy to find out how much they would charge.  

Angel

True...and wow! $32CAD to send the same package to Australia! Greg if you ever want to trade hardware please let me know. We would just need to figure out our duty/tax situation.

Very reasonable rates from Canada Post. I'm impressed.
(07-11-2018, 03:55 AM)SickBeast Wrote: True...and wow!  $32CAD to send the same package to Australia!  Greg if you ever want to trade hardware please let me know.  We would just need to figure out our duty/tax situation.

Very reasonable rates from Canada Post.  I'm impressed.

I picked a smaller package and guessed 4 lbs for a GTX 1080 Ti. I think USPS charges about double. Yes, your rates are better. Some things we have better, some things are better where you live.

Unfortunately, Canada doesn't have a Warm Winter - anywhere
Angel
(07-11-2018, 04:17 AM)apoppin Wrote:
(07-11-2018, 03:55 AM)SickBeast Wrote: True...and wow!  $32CAD to send the same package to Australia!  Greg if you ever want to trade hardware please let me know.  We would just need to figure out our duty/tax situation.

Very reasonable rates from Canada Post.  I'm impressed.

I picked a smaller package and guessed 4 lbs for a GTX 1080 Ti.  I think USPS charges about double.  Yes, your rates are better.  Some things we have better, some things are better where you live.

Unfortunately, Canada doesn't have a Warm Winter - anywhere
Angel

LOL true.

Just wait until I retire. I will be headed your way for the winters, believe me.

Summers are *beautiful* here though. Spring and fall are nice also. In the winter skiing is fun. It's not all bad. But yes, you certainly have way nicer weather down there in California.
I just sold my GTX 1070 hybrid card. It was a bit of a PayPal nightmare. The buyer insisted on not using the friends and family option and he offered to pay me all the fees involved. I was fine with that. But then he accidentally sent me the money in $USD instead of $CAD, so I refunded him. Now PayPal is making him wait 6-8 days to get the refund. Plus he will have to eat their currency conversion fees. Too bad. But at least it's sold. I will send it out tomorrow.

Just *one* GTX 1080 Ti to sell now. Maybe two depending on how I do here.
(07-16-2018, 01:53 AM)SickBeast Wrote: I just sold my GTX 1070 hybrid card.  It was a bit of a PayPal nightmare.  The buyer insisted on not using the friends and family option and he offered to pay me all the fees involved.  I was fine with that.  But then he accidentally sent me the money in $USD instead of $CAD, so I refunded him.  Now PayPal is making him wait 6-8 days to get the refund.  Plus he will have to eat their currency conversion fees.  Too bad.  But at least it's sold.  I will send it out tomorrow.

Just *one* GTX 1080 Ti to sell now.  Maybe two depending on how I do here.

What are wrong with US dollars? They don't take them in Canada?

See, I told you that you had plenty of time. Ask Mario about Paypal nightmares ... or maybe don't ask
:lipssealed:
(07-16-2018, 02:27 AM)apoppin Wrote:
(07-16-2018, 01:53 AM)SickBeast Wrote: I just sold my GTX 1070 hybrid card.  It was a bit of a PayPal nightmare.  The buyer insisted on not using the friends and family option and he offered to pay me all the fees involved.  I was fine with that.  But then he accidentally sent me the money in $USD instead of $CAD, so I refunded him.  Now PayPal is making him wait 6-8 days to get the refund.  Plus he will have to eat their currency conversion fees.  Too bad.  But at least it's sold.  I will send it out tomorrow.

Just *one* GTX 1080 Ti to sell now.  Maybe two depending on how I do here.

What are wrong with US dollars?  They don't take them in Canada?

See, I told you that you had plenty of time.  Ask Mario about Paypal nightmares ... or maybe don't ask
:lipssealed:

Well when someone sends me that much via PayPal I like to put it straight into my bank account. My bank account is in $CAD. So if someone sends me $USD PayPal funds, I have to pay their stupid 2.5% conversion fee plus they also rip me off on the exchange rate.

US dollars are widely accepted here but most stores will give you a brutal conversion rate. It's best to get your currency converted at a bank before you leave, or else use a credit card that does not charge a foreign transaction fee.
I see. Thank-you for the explanation. Back when I visited Brazil in the 1980s, it was best to bring dollars and exchange them with *people* as I went. Inflation was ridiculous and they would pay a premium over their bank exchange rate to hold US dollars as a safeguard against inflation.