• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's happening at BTR *15*
I dunno, personally I wouldn't want a PentiumANYthing in my PC
Quote:PENT-J5005 processor
My notebook is faster than that desktop, uses way less power, and only cost $279 as a Grade A HP Elitebook refurb.  If you don't game, you don't need a desktop at all
Beee

I don't mind using high-powered PCs.  I compensate elsewhere to manage my green footprint - I don't own a car, and my electricity bill is pretty low.  I paid $39 last month to the utility company which includes running my overclocked PC (I have a small 3 bedroom/2 bath home), and it will be less for this upcoming month.  Only the Winter months (December/January) are high.  

Game on, overclocked Titan Xp-powered PC
Gamer4
It's as good as a Core 2 Quad 6600 CPU wise (better actually and better than SandyBridge thanks to a motherboard that supports modern interfaces and standards).

You can even game on it - after a fashion, go to 16:20 in the video and see it run GTA V @ 720p

https://www.techpowerup.com/244596/intel...quad-q6600

You can have that desktop Pentium junk - sure, slow as 4 generations ago and castrated as a Pentium ...

This refurb was on sale for $119 last week (it sold out), and it can run just as fast and do everything your way over-priced dinosaur can do
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a...6834269874&ignorebbr=1

I can game on my own Elitebook also ... $279 3.2GHz Haswell i5. In 720P, Sleeping Dogs ran OK.
If you aren't trying to highend game or playback 4K HDR video these little PC's have all the power most people need (without guzzling the power), and they will keep getting better and better with time.

History shows us the cheap end of the microcomputer market is where you will find most of the consumers, I don't expect anything to change here.
(09-06-2018, 03:18 PM)gstanford Wrote: If you aren't trying to highend game or playback 4K HDR video these little PC's have all the power most people need (without guzzling the power), and they will keep getting better and better with time.

History shows us the cheap end of the microcomputer market is where you will find most of the consumers, I don't expect anything to change here.

And the very same thing can be said about a notebook. The ones that I linked to are more powerful and *cheaper* than your slow-ass Pentium.

- There are only advantages to the notebooks - less energy/heat, cheaper, portable, cheaper ... no disadvantages, but if you don't like a 12.6" screen, just buy a display for it ... and a premium external keyboard ... and my i5 3.2GHz Elitebook will still be way cheaper at $279 than your 2.5GHz Pentium for $468. Plus I got an SSD in mine, and that Pentium abortion has a 5400rpm HDD. If guess if you like slow and old, sure - it's your money
Bomb
Until your laptop malfunctions and you have to toss the entire thing away, like you did with your old one and I did with that stupid AMD laptop I had.

Not to mention listening to your laptop howl like a banshee when its blower fans have to spin up to keep it cool.

For the same money as that HP system you can only get AMD A series garbage in laptops here. This craps all over them.
(09-06-2018, 03:26 PM)gstanford Wrote: Until your laptop malfunctions and you have to toss the entire thing away, like you did with your old one and I did with that stupid AMD laptop I had.

Not to mention listening to your laptop howl like a banshee when its blower fans have to spin up to keep it cool.

For the same money as that HP system you can only get AMD A series garbage in laptops here.  This craps all over them.

I spent $279 for my HP Elitebook and it is going strong .. it comes with a 1 year warranty, but since it was originally a $2500 PC, it was built as a workstation for enterprise - the damn things are built like a tank with premium components. It *never* gets loud.

My i7 HP workstation with a Quadro M1000 is 5 years old - cost $329 - and is still going strong. It does run warm under full load (editing video), but I keep the dust bunnies blown out of it and always leave my notebooks on cooler pads. That is the secret to long life with a notebook.

It will be no problem to toss it in the recycle bin when it reaches EoL. But after 5 years for $329 *already*, I got my money's worth. It has the nicest 1080P 15" display I have ever used and the keyboard if full-sized with responsive keys and premium switches. I do all of my work on it and use the HP Elitebook for travel and in my kitchen while I am cooking as an alternative - one backs up the other.
Paladin

I don't think your cheaply tossed together Pentium will last 5 years - I gott a better value
Beee
Why don't you think these will last 5 years?!

It's been 10 years or more for most core 2 systems and they still run just fine with thermals an order of magnitude greater. These little babies will still be running all day every day 50 years from now they generate so little heat to degrade themselves with. Of course you might replace the HDD a couple of times, but, even then I have an Amiga 1200 from 1992 with a 40mb 2.5" hard drive in it that still works just fine (damn thing sounds like a helicopter lifting off, but it always did, Commodore always chose the cheapest, nastiest components they could lay their hands on -- and they still work to this day).
My workstation notebooks will last just as long. They are built for 5 years of abuse. Refurb Grade A is the way to go if it is done by a responsible reseller with at least a 1-year guarantee. There is no advantage to a desktop over a notebook unless you are a gamer. None.

Aggressive
Most laptops that replaced desktops never get moved, especially not now that people cart smartphones and tablets with them everywhere.

Obviously there is a market out there for this form factor or it would be dead, not expanding and growing.