• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's happening at BTR *15*
(08-31-2018, 12:31 AM)SickBeast Wrote: We love Netflix here.  I actually pay for it through iTunes and then I buy $100 iTunes cards at Costco for around $75.  So it's cheaper.  It's also very easy to share a subscription with friends or family; with the top package they give you 4 streams IIRC.  I like it because it has a lot of 4k content and I find the shows they produce quite good.  I can always find something I can watch if I'm in the mood.  And my kids love it.

Living in Hawaii at your age with the hurricane risk sounds a bit dicey.  Mind you I was reading that the last time it happened was in the 1990s.  It sounds like they are relatively immune considering they are a tropical location.  Florida would be much worse.  I think Arizona sounds relatively natural disaster proof.  And you are already used to the desert.  I remember during the housing crash in 2009 real estate was dirt cheap there.  I'm not sure what it's like now.

Have fun with the Vive Pro and the "something new".  Gee I wonder what that could be. Wink

I just don't love movies at all. Out of the dozen new movies I watched, only 2 were memorable (Tomb Raider/Get Out). Generally, I found the blockbusters stupidly written and boring unless you are just in it for action. Movies are a giant waste of time for me ... so for this reason alone, I don't want or need Netflix for any reason. I can catch up on movies again in a couple of years if I travel by air again. Until then, I will read and write. I keep TV around for the news even though there are better summaries on the Internet. And I like to see the Sunday morning political commentary (for entertainment).

I would say Nevada is a better choice for me than Arizona. No sales tax and I am pretty sure the income tax is a lot lower too. Plus it is a little cooler in the Summer in Nevada, but colder in the Winter .... Las Vegas area perhaps.

Yep. I intend to have fun with my next series of benching. I may do something very different. But I have to get this Vive Pro intro out of the way first. It is taking way too long and I am a bit discouraged. It is hard for me to glue myself to my chair and just write the damn intro.
Blush
For this Vive Pro review, I find myself making a lot of explanation and speculation - and some of it is rather personal - about the state of VR, thoughts on pricing, and future adoption; as well as suggestions for the VR devs.

Most of my reviews are third-person and very little subjectivity comes into my benching and forming conclusions - either a card is faster than the other, or it is not. Heat and noise are objective and observational, and only the conclusion requires a logical subjective opinion.

Is this a bad trend or a good trend that I am now personalizing some reviews to be rather subjective and based on my opinion? I started doing this with my 4K HDR TV review, and it has continued through to my experience at Dave & Buster's in Honolulu. Your thoughts please.
(08-31-2018, 03:40 PM)apoppin Wrote: For this Vive Pro review, I find myself making a lot of explanation and speculation - and some of it is rather personal - about the state of VR, thoughts on pricing, and future adoption; as well as suggestions for the VR devs.

Most of my reviews are third-person and very little subjectivity comes into my benching and forming conclusions - either a card is faster than the other, or it is not.  Heat and noise are objective and observational, and only the conclusion requires a logical subjective opinion.

Is this a bad trend or a good trend that I am now personalizing some reviews to be rather subjective and based on my opinion?  I started doing this with my 4K HDR TV review, and it has continued through to my experience at Dave & Buster's in Honolulu.  Your thoughts please.
When I write with my opinion on anything I prefer the first person, personally. But I can't claim to know which is better. If you want to email me a draft or just an example of a paragraph I can let you know what I think.
I am asking something different.

I am asking if it is a good thing or a bad thing that I will *editorialize* in my Vive Pro introduction.

Should I leave out my personal opinion and stick to just "facts"?

For example - most of my reviews are not "personal" - they are mostly objective and written in the 3rd person (I rarely say "I" but use "this editor", "we". etc.).

OtOH, this is personal ... (I start in the third-person and introduce myself - "this editor", and then continue as the narrator = "I" and me and my.
https://babeltechreviews.com/behind-the-...xpedition/
Try it and see. I have a feeling it will turn out well. Most reviews I read of things have the author's opinion embedded.

Actually just reading that article once more I think I like that style better than your previous articles.
(08-31-2018, 04:42 PM)SickBeast Wrote: Try it and see.  I have a feeling it will turn out well.  Most reviews I read of things have the author's opinion embedded.

Actually just reading that article once more I think I like that style better than your previous articles.

Well, my view of myself is evolving. I originally saw myself as a reviewer. However, I realize that I am more of an editor - more so than when I was E-i-C of ABT and had a larger team of writers ...

... and editors editorialize

Aggressive

I think it is the only way that I know how to write the Vive Pro introduction. There is no real way for me to "compare" the Vive Pro to the Rift that hasn't been done to death before. So I will strike out in another direction and make it a bit more personal .. it's turning out to be a long one but I feel the need to add even more material and take another day with it
.. and I just hope striking out in a new direction doesn't strike back at me
Black_eye
(08-31-2018, 05:00 PM)apoppin Wrote:
(08-31-2018, 04:42 PM)SickBeast Wrote: Try it and see.  I have a feeling it will turn out well.  Most reviews I read of things have the author's opinion embedded.

Well, my view of myself is evolving. I originally saw myself as a reviewer.  However, I realize that I am more of an editor - more so than when I was E-i-C of ABT and had a larger team of writers ...

... and editors editorialize

Aggressive

I think it is the only way that I know how to write the Vive Pro introduction.  There is no real way for me to "compare" the Vive Pro to the Rift that hasn't been done to death before.  So I will strike out in another direction and make it a bit more personal .. it's turning out to be a long one but I feel the need to add even more material and take another day with it
.. and I just hope striking out in a new direction doesn't strike back at me
Black_eye

It sounds like you're making good progress. You are worrying too much. Don't be a perfectionist about it. You will get more done if you stop trying to make it "perfect" and just accept the fact that it will be flawed no matter what you do. We are human, after all. I'm sure it will turn out fantastic.
(08-31-2018, 05:30 PM)SickBeast Wrote: It sounds like you're making good progress.  You are worrying too much.  Don't be a perfectionist about it.  You will get more done if you stop trying to make it "perfect" and just accept the fact that it will be flawed no matter what you do.  We are human, after all.  I'm sure it will turn out fantastic.

I am making progress. There are a lot of images uploaded and I see a lot of text and words on the WordPress editor
Laugh1

However, writing this is like a visit to the dentist; there is that feeling of dread I have ... I have a hard time locking myself down and writing ... it's a form of writer's block. I will get through it since I finally have some direction.

Thank-you for your vote of confidence. I am afraid it may turn out to be more fantasy than fantastic, however. But I realize, that it's "only a review" and that I need to move on and prepare for something new (that will also be difficult for me). But I can look forward to getting back to the Vive Pro's Part 2 with an objective series of benching reviews using the most powerful videocards available to me. I will be on familiar (safe) ground then. Until then, I am swimming in deep water with sharks around.
Blush
(08-31-2018, 04:36 PM)apoppin Wrote: I am asking something different.

I am asking if it is a good thing or a bad thing that I will *editorialize* in my Vive Pro introduction.  

Should I leave out my personal opinion and stick to just "facts"?

For example - most of my reviews are not "personal" - they are mostly objective and written in the 3rd person (I rarely say "I" but use "this editor", "we". etc.).

OtOH, this is personal ... (I start in the third-person and introduce myself - "this editor", and then continue as the narrator = "I" and me and my.
https://babeltechreviews.com/behind-the-...xpedition/

I think you can express personal opinion, especially in the introduction and conclusion sections of reviews. So long as the actual tests are impartial and the data presented for people to interpret I don't think it matters.
(09-01-2018, 03:31 AM)gstanford Wrote: I think you can express personal opinion, especially in the introduction and conclusion sections of reviews.  So long as the actual tests are impartial and the data presented for people to interpret I don't think it matters.

Thank-you.  I don't like to editorialize as a rule, but some articles and reviews require different approaches.  It will be obvious what is my opinion - and an introduction is much more subjective - especially comparing HMDs of radically different pricing.  At any rate I am making decent progress.  It will be long and I am setting up the Vive Pro again so I can get some comparative screenshots through the HMD lens to compare with those I already took through the Rift's lens.  It should make it more interesting.

I can give you the conclusion right now.  "Buy the Pro.  Just buy it - you don't want to die without enjoying the highest resolution possible".

Gamer4

OK ... may I qualify it?  ... " ... if you have money to burn and visual perfection is what you pursue without much concern as to your hobby's costs".
Laugh1