• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's happening at BTR *15*
(08-29-2018, 11:48 PM)apoppin Wrote:
(08-29-2018, 11:44 PM)SickBeast Wrote:
(08-29-2018, 11:35 PM)apoppin Wrote:
(08-29-2018, 11:29 PM)SickBeast Wrote: You’re welcome.

You’re actually the only person I know of that kinda-sorta reviewed the Micron 1100 drive.  Your benchmarks are super useful.

It's one of those reviews that were hard for me to write ... and it also didn't get a lot of views.  But I am glad to have done it!

It turned out great.  I think you could have easily made a quick review of the Micron 1100 drive with the data from that article, and it would have been popular.  There have been so many sales on the drive and literally no reviews out there.  Anyhow, we'll see, my hot deal forum is one of the most popular websites in Canada.  It could bring you some traction traffic wise.

All traffic (except for attacks, bots, and crawlers) are welcomed!  Thank-you again.

My view is if one is going to review something, do as good job a job as you can.  It was a challenge for me but it is a reference review now.

And BTR is now averaging over 71,000 Unique Visitors each month - traffic is way up since I went to Hawaii - in 30 days, the traffic has grown from 50,000 at its bottom.

That's good to hear. I hope the traffic continues to build. With your upcoming Vive Pro and Turing articles I think it will be through the roof, albeit temporarily. But the more good articles you write, the more you are going to develop a devoted following and fanbase.
Well, that is my plan to keep working and to escalate my productivity. Thank-you for supporting BTR
Drinks
(08-30-2018, 12:08 AM)apoppin Wrote: Well, that is my plan to keep working and to escalate my productivity.  Thank-you for supporting BTR
Drinks
It's my pleasure. Thank-you for setting up and running the site. I enjoy the forum here and I enjoy our friendship. Good3
You are welcome! I could have not asked for a better hobby to pursue in my retirement and I appreciate your friendship. We have known each other for quite awhile ....
Good3
(08-29-2018, 07:23 PM)apoppin Wrote:
(08-29-2018, 07:16 PM)SickBeast Wrote: Nice post.

And thanks for that re: Destiny 2.  I'm downloading the patch now.  That would not be fun wanting to play the game only to have to wait for it to download.  And yes that takes time even on a gigabit connection.  Mind you the download is up to 70MB/sec now, pretty good.  My R8500 router continues to be *stable* also which I am quite happy about.  It's a wifi beast!

Thanks.  I get to experience a lot more evolving architecture because I regularly attend the GTC and also SIGGRAPH.  All of the major companies plan their roadmap years in advance, and RT was long due.  And I don't think I will admit anything about street racing in my younger days other than to say I have real experience with auto racing.  In fact, my auto mechanic used to be on a pro racing team as their lead mechanic.  So I hung around racing for much of my youth.  Surfing was healthier for me, and as a difference compared with racing, I actually got to surf and hang out with the top professionals and the very best surfers in the world.

I am D/L'ing at 5.59 MB/s.  If I sell my house and move, I won't miss paying $110 a month for ViaSat garbage Internet but can probably do better anywhere with cable and $30 a month.

I would look carefully into internet options before committing to move somewhere. I've read too many ISP horror stories on ArsTechnica over the years to blindly trust that you will be able to get the internet you want. Not to mention Ajit Pai is still in charge of the FCC and things will be a 3 ring circus until he is forced out.
(08-30-2018, 03:17 AM)gstanford Wrote: I would look carefully into internet options before committing to move somewhere.  I've read too many ISP horror stories on ArsTechnica over the years to blindly trust that you will be able to get the internet you want.  Not to mention Ajit Pai is still in charge of the FCC and things will be a 3 ring circus until he is forced out.

Yes, multiple choices and reliable inexpensive Internet will be part of my decision of where to move. I got awhile to consider it. I am in no big hurry to get out. It's just inevitable as I get older that I will not be able to care for my home the way I want to. I like doing the work myself. All of it.
Maybe I shouldn't pick Hawaii. Two more hurricanes are moving into a similar position and track to Hector/Lane

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/101...ical-storm

I think Miriam will miss. However, Norman is a dangerous storm that is tracking for the Island chain again.

As an update, I canceled Netflix. Since I had it for almost a month, I watched zero movies or shows. Instead I got my *fill* of a dozen newer movies on my flights. I am sure that I would never watch anything ... so bye bye Netflix ... I never knew you. Besides, my busy season has already started.

I'm still working on the Vive Pro intro. It is much more ambitious that I originally planned - then there will be a break for awhile as I investigate something new; then I will combine the new with the Pro and finish up the series by the end of September before I have to return it to Vive. Netflix isn't in VR anyway
Good3
We love Netflix here.  I actually pay for it through iTunes and then I buy $100 iTunes cards at Costco for around $75.  So it's cheaper.  It's also very easy to share a subscription with friends or family; with the top package they give you 4 streams IIRC.  I like it because it has a lot of 4k content and I find the shows they produce quite good.  I can always find something I can watch if I'm in the mood.  And my kids love it.

Living in Hawaii at your age with the hurricane risk sounds a bit dicey.  Mind you I was reading that the last time it happened was in the 1990s.  It sounds like they are relatively immune considering they are a tropical location.  Florida would be much worse.  I think Arizona sounds relatively natural disaster proof.  And you are already used to the desert.  I remember during the housing crash in 2009 real estate was dirt cheap there.  I'm not sure what it's like now.

Have fun with the Vive Pro and the "something new".  Gee I wonder what that could be. Wink
(08-31-2018, 12:31 AM)SickBeast Wrote: We love Netflix here.  I actually pay for it through iTunes and then I buy $100 iTunes cards at Costco for around $75.  So it's cheaper.  It's also very easy to share a subscription with friends or family; with the top package they give you 4 streams IIRC.  I like it because it has a lot of 4k content and I find the shows they produce quite good.  I can always find something I can watch if I'm in the mood.  And my kids love it.

Living in Hawaii at your age with the hurricane risk sounds a bit dicey.  Mind you I was reading that the last time it happened was in the 1990s.  It sounds like they are relatively immune considering they are a tropical location.  Florida would be much worse.  I think Arizona sounds relatively natural disaster proof.  And you are already used to the desert.  I remember during the housing crash in 2009 real estate was dirt cheap there.  I'm not sure what it's like now.

Have fun with the Vive Pro and the "something new".  Gee I wonder what that could be. Wink

I know it does not affect you but I actually get it for free through T-mobile :) they pay the entire Netflix charge just for being with their company. :)
(08-31-2018, 12:54 AM)ZeroEnigma Wrote:
(08-31-2018, 12:31 AM)SickBeast Wrote: We love Netflix here.  I actually pay for it through iTunes and then I buy $100 iTunes cards at Costco for around $75.  So it's cheaper.  It's also very easy to share a subscription with friends or family; with the top package they give you 4 streams IIRC.  I like it because it has a lot of 4k content and I find the shows they produce quite good.  I can always find something I can watch if I'm in the mood.  And my kids love it.

I know it does not affect you but I actually get it for free through T-mobile :) they pay the entire Netflix charge just for being with their company. :)
Wow that's pretty sweet. You guys get way better cellular service in the USA. I hear they even give unlimited data for a good price and they don't throttle you until you hit 20gb. Here I have a 10gb plan but they are generally at least $50-60CAD for that type of plan. I'm getting it cheaper because of the crazy iPhone X deal I got.