• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Amazon] HP VR headset refurb $159.99
https://www.amazon.com/HP-Reality-Contro...rdfocom-20

So guys I just ordered my first VR headset! It ships to Canada! $8USD shipping, super reasonable. And the price is certainly right. I know a Rift would be better but this is so super cheap, and there is a YouTube video where a guy measured his glasses and they fit. Mine are the same size.

I'm super excited to try VR and I'm sure my son will absolutely love VR Minecraft.
I hope it doesn't put your off real VR

Angel
(06-22-2018, 01:56 AM)apoppin Wrote: I hope it doesn't put your off real VR

Angel
The way I look at it, I have the gaming setup to run VR right now. And I will have lots of time to enjoy it over the summer. If I wind up upgrading again in a year, so be it. This is $159.99USD we are talking about. Extremely cheap. And from what I'm reading this headset it pretty good actually.
I think it is a total waste of money for you but will be a good toy for your son. It isn't VR. It doesn't track. A Go would be a better buy.

The reviews are awful. The people who like it haven't tried a Rift or a Vive

Thinking

https://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/review/hp...et/633440/

Quote:CONS
LCDs not up to par with OLED screens on other VR headsets. Windows Mixed Reality lacks features and software.

BOTTOM LINE
HP's VR1000-100 feels and functions just like other Windows Mixed Reality headsets, and has to deal with the same awkward quirks and dearth of content the platform offers.

There is a real reason they are blowing them out at less than 1/2 price and it's a waste of money at $50 imo. Try a Rift or even a Go, and you will toss stones at this one.
I can't try a rift. My glasses are won't fit. This headset actually suits my needs. And from everything I have read it comes pretty close to the rift.

Ok I canceled my order. Thanks. It looks like there are very few games that work with the windows mixed reality headsets. Too bad. The wait continues.
(06-22-2018, 02:53 AM)SickBeast Wrote: I can't try a rift. My glasses are won't fit. This headset actually suits my needs. And from everything I have read it comes pretty close to the rift.

Ok I canceled my order. Thanks. It looks like there are very few games that work with the windows mixed reality headsets. Too bad. The wait continues.

A Rift Go is better than that Mixed Reality nonsense and it is useful for far more games. It lists for $200 and your glasses will fit inside easily.
https://www.oculus.com/go/

But it still falls far short of a Rift or a Vive as it doesn't use sensors to track your hands and head tracking is so-so. You could buy a Vive which will fit your glasses also but it is more expensive and there are upgraded everything coming out pretty soon for it.
Thinking
(06-22-2018, 03:35 AM)apoppin Wrote:
(06-22-2018, 02:53 AM)SickBeast Wrote: I can't try a rift. My glasses are won't fit. This headset actually suits my needs. And from everything I have read it comes pretty close to the rift.

A Rift Go is better than that Mixed Reality nonsense and it is useful for far more games.  It lists for $200 and your glasses will fit inside easily.
https://www.oculus.com/go/

But it still falls far short of a Rift or a Vive as it doesn't use sensors to track your hands and head tracking is so-so.  You could buy a Vive which will fit your glasses also but it is more expensive and there are upgraded everything coming out pretty soon for it.
Thinking

Thanks. I will have to do more research. What's holding me back more than anything is the lack of games. The fragmentation makes things even worse. Valve and Oculus should work together to make all their games cross platform. Just port them all. VR needs to grow and the lack of games is the biggest problem. Having closed ecosystems like the Oculus store just makes the problem worse.

Apparently driving games like Project Cars are a lot of fun on the Microsoft headsets. I really think that for $159USD that thing was worth a shot and I would have had some enjoyment from it. You really think the Oculus Go is nicer?
(06-22-2018, 12:58 PM)SickBeast Wrote: Thanks.  I will have to do more research.  What's holding me back more than anything is the lack of games.  The fragmentation makes things even worse.  Valve and Oculus should work together to make all their games cross platform.  Just port them all.  VR needs to grow and the lack of games is the biggest problem.  Having closed ecosystems like the Oculus store just makes the problem worse.

Apparently driving games like Project Cars are a lot of fun on the Microsoft headsets.  I really think that for $159USD that thing was worth a shot and I would have had some enjoyment from it.  You really think the Oculus Go is nicer?

Well, the Oculus Go is well designed but it is still not the same as the Rift. The Rift or the Vive are the ONLY two HMD complete platforms with great support that have full tracking - without full tracking, you will break immersion often.

If I were you, I would just wait if eyeglasses are your issue. Rift II will be out, and the Vive pro will drop in price ....

MS support is crap for VR just like Windows store platform - garbage. My suggestion is to buy games on Steam that are supported for whichever platform you buy so that you can play them on either the Vive or the Rift. Games purchases on the Oculus store are only for Rift and Go games (but they are not buy one and works on both - which sucks; only the dev can offer it).

The Lack of VR games is a bunch of absolute nonsense. You can put 5,000 hours into just two VR games - Skyrim & FO4
- there are literally a hundred good games with 10-20 hours of play time ... that excuse is dead.

DiRT: Rally & Project CARS 1/2 are fully developed for VR and they are incredible - on a Rift or a Vive. The mixed reality HMDs won't be able to provide anything like that but it is still impressive.
--You can also play MANY of your PC games in VR if you don't mind they look a bit like 3D vision and are not perfect ...

:doh:
Thanks. The wait continues. :(
(06-22-2018, 01:13 PM)SickBeast Wrote: Thanks.  The wait continues.  :(

Waiting is wise. The worst thing you can do is to jump into VR with a half-assed Windows Mixed Reality solution - unless it is literally $50, and then you will probably waste money on games that will never be supported properly, can't be played on anything else, and is dead end - just look at MS broken solutions over their long history... *eventually* they will get VR right - but they still haven't fixed Windows Store and it has been out for YEARS. They promise support for VR (like with the Xbox 1X) and it turns out it is a big lie - they can't do it without spending money although their hype continues unabated.
:no:

We know Facebook and Steam will continue to support the Oculus and Vive platforms - they are committed to them. Many of the rest of the companies are looking for a VR cash grab - especially including MS - without putting the research or time into it.
Dodgy