• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AMD Navi
LOL I don't think you used quite enough emoticons. :D
(07-10-2018, 03:02 AM)SickBeast Wrote: LOL I don't think you used quite enough emoticons.  :D

:doh:
You guys are hilarious. :D
AMD is going all-out for 7nm is a rather desperate attempt to stay relevant (I would speculate)
https://m.hexus.net/tech/news/industry/1...-adoption/

However, it isn't for gaming ...

Quote:AMD had originally planned to release the first 7nm Vega GPU in 2019 but, thanks to "immense focus" has been able to move the date forward to later this year. Thus we will see the next-generation Radeon Vega Instinct GPU, demonstrated at Computex with 32GB HBM2, launched before the year is out.
The gaming version will surely follow. What is interesting is that Vega has more teraflops of compute power than a GTX 1080 Ti. AMD needs *software*. It will be interesting to see how this workstation card works out. Hopefully someone can benchmark it running some games. It will also be cool to see how high Vega clocks on the 7nm node.
(08-27-2018, 07:02 PM)SickBeast Wrote: The gaming version will surely follow.  What is interesting is that Vega has more teraflops of compute power than a GTX 1080 Ti.  AMD needs *software*.  It will be interesting to see how this workstation card works out.  Hopefully someone can benchmark it running some games.  It will also be cool to see how high Vega clocks on the 7nm node.

Thanks to Mario for sending me the link.
Good3

The gaming version will probably not have HBM2 - and if so, it will take longer to come to the market ... not even 2019, and the problem is that we don't know anything about 7nm ... if the yields aren't stellar, it will be too expensive to produce for gamers. RTG is not out of the dark woods - and they are wisely ignoring the gaming market - for now.

Just remember that Computex is next May 28, 2019 ... so there won't be any impact from RTG even in the pro market for at least another year.

Nvidia has an excellent chance to move Ray Tracing to the mainstream in the meantime and grab even more marketshare, depending on when we see the midrange GPUs and if they will also have the capabilities of their more expensive siblings.
Gamer4

That "news" story is a REPEAT of what Hexus.net already posted on June 6 during Computex
https://hexus.net/tech/items/cpu/119027-...cpus-gpus/

Quote:AMD showcased the first public demonstration of its Radeon Vega GPU based on 7nm process technology built specifically for professional/datacenter applications. AMD announced that 7nm Radeon “Vega” architecture-based Radeon Instinct has started sampling to initial customers and will launch in both server and workstation form factors for key compute use cases in 2H 2018.
Well they're saying 2x density, 2x efficiency, and 1.35x performance. In other words, 7nm Vega will match the GTX 1080 Ti if that all comes to fruition, and it will be much cheaper to manufacture. Good news if true.

The fact that the 7nm node is ahead of schedule is wonderful news for AMD and a disaster for Intel. AMD's upcoming CPUs will be built on the 7nm node.
Agreed. It impacts Intel, not Nvidia.

HBM2 is not going to allow Vega II to be cheaper to manufacture than 1080 Ti (which is cheap to produce now). And they will have to compete with RTX - or perhaps Nvidia's next Gen RTX on 7nm as TSMC has also announced it is ready.

AMD will have 7nm Ryzen before Intel has 10nm next gen.

But this Hexus "news" story isn't ANYTHING new but a PR respin from AMD ... just to try and detract from Nvidia's launch. RTG has morons for marketeers. Lisa needs to get busy and clean up the rest of the old boy advertising network left over from ATi.
I don't find this moronic marketing at all. AMD is smart coming out with this info. I know nVidia wants us all to buy their super expensive Turing cards, but the sensible among us are waiting for the 7nm node. It's great news if AMD will have a 7nm Vega gaming card relatively soon. It seems that pretty much everyone skipped the 12nm node for the 7nm node. I have a feeling it's going to be great.
(08-27-2018, 08:26 PM)SickBeast Wrote: I don't find this moronic marketing at all.

It's *exactly* the same news as in June with no updates spun into a PR piece disguised an an 'interview'
Beee